Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Energy Balls

I found the idea for these on Pinterest which is my new addiction.  You can actually put anything you want in these such as dried fruit in the place of the chocolate chips. (I just don't really like dried fruit).  I found that using unsweetened coconut made them not so sweet and a little better for you.  This is a doubled recipe because I like them so much.  It makes about 24-30 golfball size balls. Make them anysize you want and play around with the ingredients.  You just can't substitute agavae for the honey because it won't hold together well - the honey and peanut butter are the binding agents.



1 1/2 c. oatmeal (not quick)
1 c. barley flakes (or more oatmeal or other whole grain)
1/2 c. toasted wheatgerm
1/2 c. ground flax
1 c. unsweetened coconut (toasted)
1 1/2 c. nuts (I like toasted pecans)
1/2 c. chia
1 c. chopped dates or other fruit (optional)
1/2 c. chocolate chips (I like minis)
1 1/2 c. peanut butter (I like the natural no sugar added)
1 1/2 c. honey
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix everything and make balls. If they're too dry, just add more peanut butter and/or honey.

1 comment:

  1. I've been using some new grains like hemp, chia, and ground up barley mixed with the above (of course I had to add more honey and peanutbutter, but it also made a bigger batch) and now they've turned into a superfood.

    ReplyDelete