Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Marshmallows

When I read that if you eat a homemade marshmallow, you'd never eat a store-bought one again, I didn't think much about it.  Then I made some and I'm the one saying you really won't eat a store-bought one again. My friends and I agree that these are the bomb.  They are easy to make and keep for several weeks in an airtight container in a cool dry place. I made these for Samantha Worlton's wedding reception because she wanted a s'mores bar and I didn't want to just have store bought marshmallows.  I looked on line and found several but the one I tried I found at Smitten Kitchen.  She gives a step by step if you want to check it out.



1/2 c. cornstarch
1/2 c. powdered sugar
3 1/2 envelopes (2 Tblsp. + 2 1/2 tsp.) unflavored gelatin
1 c. cold water, divided
2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs or reconstituted powdered egg whites
1/2 c. light cornstarch
1 Tblsp. vanilla (or 1/2 scraped vanilla bean, or 2 tsp. almond or mint extract)
food coloring (optional)


Mix the cornstarch and the powdered sugar together.  Put some of it in a 13x9x2 inch pan and make sure the pan is covered.
In a large mixing bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 c. COLD water.  Stir and let stand to soften.
In a 3-qt. heavy saucepan, cook sugar, corn syrup, second 1/2 c. of water and salt over medium-low heat stirring frequently till sugar is dissolved.  Increase heat to medium and bring to moderate boil until candy thermometer registers 240 degrees - no need to stir, but I do pour the mixture over the stem of the candy thermometer when it starts to get hot to make sure I get the right temperature. This takes about 12 minutes. 
While the sugar mixture is cooking, I beat the egg whites and vanilla or other flavoring until they just hold stiff peaks, but keep an eye on your sugar mixture.
Remove the sugar mixture from heat when it has reached 240 degrees and pour over the gelatin mixture.  Beat this mixture on high speed until white and thick and triple in volume, from 6-10 minutes.
Pour the egg whites into the beaten sugar mixture and beat  until just combined.
Pour into a pan and level out.  Heavily dust  the top with the cornstarch mixture.
Chill uncovered at least 3 hours before cutting.
Run a thin knife around all edges.  Loosen the corners with your fingers lifting out a little.
Invert pan onto a large cutting board or other surface lightly dusted with the cornstarch
Cut with an oiled pizza cutter and roll each piece in the cornstarch mixture.
Place in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment