Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Banana Cake

I just pulled this off Food Network website because I had a plethera(?) of bananas so I decided to
play around and this turned out very good.  I just used a cream cheese frosting - I didn't try the one on the recipe.  It was also very good plain.


1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. solid vegetable shortening (I used coconut oil)
2 eggs, separated
3 mashed bananas
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. sour milk or buttermilk (sour milk - add 2 tsp. white vinegar to milk to make 1 c. and let sit 5 min.)
2 1/4 c. flour (I used 1 c. wheat)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix sugar and shortening until creamy.  Add egg yolks and bananas, beat thoroughly.  Dissolve soda in the sour milk.  Sift flour, baking powder and salt.  Mix alternately.  Add vanilla.  Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into batter.  Pour into a 2 buttered 9-inch round cake pans.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for
30-40 min.

Frosting
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. solid vegetable shortening
1/2 c. butter
1 large package vanilla pudding, not instant
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream sugar, shortening and butter until light and fluffy.  Cook vanilla pudding with milk until very thick.  Cool and add to butter mixture.  Mix with electric mixer at high speed for 15 minutes or until it is not grainy.  Add 1 tsp. vanilla.  Ice the cake with the icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment