Pages

Sunday, December 24, 2023

Best Homemade Mac and Cheese

 This was a Pinterest find...and probably around the 5th or 6th mac n cheese recipe I've tried. I also like the other recipes I've posted on my blog, but this one stays true to what I think mac n cheese really is and is also very close to Mom's recipe.  I haven't made this one with the cheddar cheese soup like the recipe suggests is good...I find it really good without but maybe I'll try it one day. As always, I get into some things where I have to find the absolute premium recipe, so who knows, I may find a better one after this.

12 oz. dry elbow macaroni (I sometimes use cavatapi)
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
1 1/2 c. milk
1 c. half n half or light cream
1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder
1 tsp. onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup (optional)
 4 c. sharp cheddar (I like provolone and mozzerella with it)
1/2 c. fresh parmesan cheese
 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Cook macaroni al dente (firm) acccording to package directions.  Drain and run under cold water to stop it from cooking further.  It will cook more in the oven, you just don't want to have mushy pasta.
Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan.  Whisk in flour and let cook 2 minutes while stirring.  Slowly whisk in milk, cream, mustard powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat while stirring until thickened. 
Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheeese and 3 c. cheese until melted.  Add soup if using.
Toss cheese sauce & macaroni noodles together.  Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.  Top with remaining cheese.
Bake 18 to 24 minutes or until bubbly. Do not over cook. Cool 10-15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment