Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2023

Overnight Sourdough Bread

 This is the best and easiest sourdough bread I could find.  The day before I want my bread, I get my starter fed around noonish, depending on if the house is warm or not. If the house is warm, I can start my starter a little later in the day.  Around 9ish I check my starter to make sure a drop of it floats in a glass of water to make sure it's ready to make into bread.  If it floats, I start. I can usually make the actual bread sometime around 9 in the a.m., again, depending on how warm my house is.  If the house is cool, I put the bread to rise in my oven.  Anyway, sometime that morning I'll have nice, hot bread.

158.33 g. bubbly starter (3/4 c.)
300.83 g. room temperature filtered water (1 1/4 c.)
527.78 g. bread flour (4 c.)
10 g. sea salt (I just use reg. table salt - 2 tsp.)
 
1. Squelch all of the ingredients together briefly (just for a minute is enough) with your hand.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
2. Stretch and fold the dough into the bowl several  times for about a minute.  Cover and leave it out on the counter overnight. In the morning it will have doubled in volume at least.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 475 and place your lidded pot or pizza stone inside to heat up.  You can usean enamel dutch oven or aluminum roaster. 
4. Dust your counter with rice flour or flour.  (I do this on a large piece of parchment paper so I can just lift it into the pot). Don't punch the dough down.  You want to keep as many of those bubbles as you can.
5. Pull the outside thirds into the middle and shape as you wish.  Try to pull the outside of the dough as tightly as possible so it will hold its shape well.
6. Cover with some oiled plastic wrap loosely.  Allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes.  Don't go over this time.
7. Remove the plastic wrap and and slash with a sharp knife or lame.
8. Carefully remove the pot from the oven and remove the lid.  Place the dough into the pot by lifting using the parchment paper.
9. Reduce the heat to 425. Bake for 20 minutes.  Remove the lid, rotate and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes.
10. Immediately remove from the pot and cool on a cooling rack completely before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment