Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Red Beans and Rice Soup

Yes, another one from Paula.  What can I say...she and I see pretty much eye to eye on what is good.  This one is pretty darn good and fast to make and it's not too bad calorie wise.  I used turkey bacon and brown rice to make it a little better for you.


Serves: 6-8

4 slices bacon, chopped
1 (16-oz.) pkg. smoked sausage, sliced (I quartered the slices cause I like a little in every bite)
2 c. chopped green bell pepper
1 large chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. Creole seasoning
5-6 c. chicken broth
3 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 bay leaves
4 c. hot cooked rice (This is supposed to be serves piled in the soup, but I just put it in as an ingredient which is way I needed to add 6 c. broth instead of 5 cause the rice ended up soaking up the liquid)

Heat a dutch oven and cook bacon till almost crisp.  Add sausage, bell pepper, onion, celery, garlic, and Creole seasoning; cook, stirring often, till onion starts to soften.  Stir in chicken broth, beans, and bay leaves. Simmer for about 30 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment