Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Asian Noodle Salad

Another recipe found during mom and dad's October visit.  Mom and I were watching the cooking shows and saw Giada make this salad and it looked yummy.  I really like napa cabbage and this salad was just as good if not better the next day.  The cabbage holds up way better than lettuce does sitting overnight.  I really dislike a lettuce salad that's been thrown together and stuck in the fridge for the next day - soggy and wilted - yuck.  This was still crunchy and good.
I didn't have almond butter so I just threw about 1 1/2 cups of the slivered almonds into the blender with the rest of the dressing ingredients.  I also added a bit more olive oil for consistency.  I really liked the toasted slivered almonds and would probably even add more.  I didn't put sesame seeds in cause mom can't handle them, but I might next time.  I also used 1 tsp. minced ginger in a jar instead of fresh.



Salad:
1 1/2 lb. head napa cabbage, cored and shredded
3 green onions, sliced thin
1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 hothouse cucumber (the long ones wrapped in celophane), sliced in half and then into thinly sliced half moon cuts
1 c. slivered almonds, toasted
3  Tblsp. sesame seeds
8 oz. soba noodles (These were SUPER expensive so I substituted a 10 pkg. jap. egg noodles, but I think you could even used angelhair pasta although they're not as tender.)

Boil the noodles, drain and set aside.

Dressing:
1/3 c. creamy almond butter (you can also use peanutbutter)
1/4 c. soy sauce
3 Tblsp. fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
3 Tblsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tblsp. sesame oil
1 1/2 Tblsp. honey
2 tsp. wasabi paste (or just use horseradish)
One 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped

In a large bowl, combine the cabbage and all the other salad ingredients together.  Make the dressing in a blender blending all the dressing ingredients till smooth and creamy.  Pour on top of the salad and toss well.  Garnish with sesame seeds if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment