Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2024

Instant Pot Refried Beans

I LOVE homemade refried beans.  This is a recipe I've tweeked a few times, but I think I've got a version I'm happy with.  It's super easy and super good. I use anywhere from 2-4 c. pinto beans (usually 4c. cause I love them so much)

2-4 lbs. picked over and washed pintos
chopped onion
1 32 oz. box chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. garlic power
6-8 Tblsp. bacon fat or butter (bacon fat is yum)
 3 c. water
Salt to taste after cooking
 
Place pintos, water, broth, onions, in the instant pot.
Move the vent to "seal". Press MANUAL and cook on HIGH for 45 minutes
Once the 45 minutes are up, let the pressure release naturally for 25 minutes.  Then, move the vent to "venting" and let the remaining steam release.
Open the lid. Ladle 2-3 c. of the cooking liquid into a bowl or measuring cup. Drain the beans into a large colander.
Return the beans to the pot and use an immersion blender (or potato masher) to puree the beans.  Add in some of the cooking liquid until your desired consistency is reached.  Add the bacon grease or butter and stir until melted and add cumin, oregano, garlic, salt.  
You can also spice it up with jalapeno and fresh cilantro
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment