Pages

Friday, October 21, 2022

Sourdough Brownies

 I'm always looking for a way to use my sourdough discard and his is one of my favorite ways. I've just started looking so I'm sure there will be plenty to come.  The other thing is that I'm always looking to perfect everything I make...I am driven to find the ultimate in whatever I make.  I always figured I'd found the perfect brownie...Shirlene's famous Ghiradelli brownie mix, slightly underbaked, with chocolate chips sprinkles all over, but I've got to say, this is really yummy.  It's dark, fudgie, with a little crust on top...can you get any better than that?  We'll see, because I'm always prowling around for the best.

1/2 c. unsalted butter (I just use regular ole butter)

1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

3 large eggs

3/4 c. sugar

3/4 c. light brown sugar, lightly packed

1/2 c. sourdough discard, stirred down and room temperature

1 c. unbleached all-purpose flour

1/2 c. dutch processed cocoa powder

1 tsp. coarse kosher salt

 

1. In a medium-sized saucepan, brown the butter over medium-low heat.  Once butter is browned, remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the chocolate chips until completely melted and smooth.  Set aside on a wire cooling rack to cool for 10-15 minutes.

2. Preheat oven to 350f and prepare a 9x9 inch baking dish by lining with tin foil or parchment paper and spraying with cooking oil or greasing lightly.  

3. Meanwhile, add the eggs, sugar, and brown sugar to the bowl of your mixer fitted with the whick attachment.  Beat the eggs and sugars at high speed for 2-3 minutes.

5. Once the chocolate-butter mixture has cooled for 10 or so minutes, turn the stand mixer on high speed again, and pour the chocolate mixture slowly down the side of the mixing bowl while whisking.

6. Combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt ina  small bowl, and stir to combine.

7. Fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients with a spatula.  Stir only until completely mixed, avoid overbaking.

8. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.

9. Bake at 350f for 30-35 minutes, or until the edges look set and the center looks slightly undercooked.

10.Allow the sourdough brownies to cool to room before cutting.

variations & substitutions-

add 1/2 c. chopped pecans or walnuts

serve warm with ice cream

add 1/2 c. coarsely chopped chocolate or chocolate chips

add a little mint extract for a minty brownie

give them a dpincgh of cayenne for a Meican chocolate brownie flavor

swap some or all of the chocolate chips with white chocolate, peanut butter or butterscotch chips.

This recipe can be doubled and baked in 2  9x9 pans.

8. 

No comments:

Post a Comment