Pages

Friday, January 3, 2020

Pork Loin Roast

This roast turned out better than I expected.  I got one of those 5lb. clearance pork roasts at Sam's Club.  Then I was trying to figure out what to do with it cause if you're not careful, it can turn into a piece of leather.  Then I remembered a tried and true method...sous vide!  So I prepped the pork by sprinkling all sides with a liberal dose of kosher salt and then a good dose of Butt Rub (Costco or Sams)  Then I sprinkled it with Hickory smoked sea salt (either Sams or Walmart) and let it set for about 2 hours in a gallon ziplock with all the air removed. If the air is removed, it won't float.  Then I submerged it in the container of water and put the sous vide on 138 degrees for 4 hours.  You can vary the temp from 130 to 145 for very well done (dry) meat.  I don't like bloody, but I did want juicy, which is why I chose 138 and it was perfect.
After cooking for approximately 4 hours, I pulled the pork out of the bag and let the juices run off.  Then I seared it on every side till it was nice and roasted looking.  Don't sear too much or it will keep cooking and be dry.  I pulled the meat from the pan, turned down the heat a bit, then poured in the juices for just a few minutes.
I cut the meat and put it in a container and strained the juices and poured them over the meat and OH MY GOSH, truly perfectly cooked pork roast with lots of flavor...YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment